Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Diabetes in the Workplace

Fascinating article about diabetes in the workplace.

Evil HR Lady's advice for companies trying to set policy--run it by the New York Times test--you know, would you want what you did to be on the front page of the New York Times? I bet UPS would have preferred that this didn't end up there.

I don't know how I feel about the accommodations for diabetics. No one I am close to suffers from the disease, so I am very unaware. I do think, however, eating at your desk should be a no-brainer type accommodation.

3 comments:

First Year said...

Jeez. I am not sure if diabetes is a disablity, but things like eating at your desk, seems like a reasonable accomadation to make for someone so they can be productive.

It really amuses me because I eat at my desk all the time while during work, and I work from home where I (gasp) eat whenever I want while working.

Anonymous said...

Hi HR Lady,

This is so timely for me. DH just got diagnosed with epilepsy at age 36. (That never happens. And no, he didn't have a drug addiction.) I've been freaking out about the change in our lives. He's now got a dreaded pre-existing condition! He works in marketing, which is not the most stable field. What's going to happen if he loses his job? Will he be eligible for insurance?

I'm a manager in IT. I've hired all sorts of people. One of my employees was diabetic. When he got the flu, it generally took him a day or two longer to bounce back than non-diabetic employees. He needed to get his sugars re-balanced. Definitely not a big deal in the IT world.

Thanks for the awesome entry!

Teri said...

I realize this post is several months old, but I just have to comment. To me, the crux of the matter in the linked article is this: "Establishing discrimination has become harder since 1999, when the Supreme Court held that if a disability can be corrected with medicine or things like prostheses, it is not necessarily protected."

The problem seems to be that the things that the disability can be corrected with are things that sometimes are not allowed in the workplace, like eating at a work station or the licensing requirements for the UPS mechanic.

It produces a Catch-22: It's not a protected disability because it can be corrected, but we're not going to allow you to correct it and we don't have to, because it's not protected.

What if an employer had a rule that employees could not wear prostheses on the job? How long would that last?