Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Resume Angst: Should I Include Short-Term, Unrelated Positions?

Dear Evil HR Lady,

I lost my job over a year ago. It paid very well and since then I have jumped around to about 4 different jobs trying to find a good fit and reasonable pay. Most of the jobs were beneath my skill level but I needed to earn more than unemployment so I took them. I finally landed an interview with a job that is comparable to my lost job in qualifications and pay, as well as skill level. Should I disclose all my past employers on the new application? Will any be found on a background check if they were less then a few months? In my past I had a very stable job history- worked at a company for over 10 years then the one that laid me off was 2 years. It was only the last year that I did not have stability. Can you offer me any advice as to how to handle this?


Resume Angst: Should I Include Short-Term, Unrelated Positions?

3 comments:

Resume said...

I would like to advice you to go with your previous resume I think it will work......

Thanks,
Chris.

Lynda Tyler said...

HR people hate gaps on CVs. I always remember my first HR boss telling me never to interview anyone who had a gap on their CV timeline, as 'they were most probably in prison'... I kid you not!
I would suggest you just say 'various temporary positions while conducting job search' and give the time period. That way it gets minimized on your resumé- but you have not misled anyone.
best
Lynda

jobcentre said...

A resume is the first and last identification of a job seeker embedded in a format of clear-cut and short paper crafted for a specific job profile. A how to write a resume help is a topic of weight and thus, its importance increases manifold when subjected to resume samples. Since, it contains all the essential information containing to your education qualification, skills sets, potentials and work history, & with the correct usage of it, you can win the job profile applied for, comprehensively.