Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Carnival of HR: Food Edition

Chocolate beetroot brownies

Welcome to the Carnival of Human Resources. It's a good thing it isn't performance appraisal time because none of you sent me brownies. Or any food, for that matter. But, the truly high achievers managed to incorporate food into this carnival, which makes me happy and hungry.

It seems like most of you were too busy writing about the stuff you actually do, and I realize why it's so difficult to answer the question "Just What Does HR Do?" because if you look at the topics, you'll realize it's a smorgesboard of HR Delights. But still, no brownies.

First, the people who win gold stars and will be given an above average performance rating, which will mean they'll get twice as many humorous e-mails from Shauna Moerke, who runs this fabulous carnival. (Okay, I didn't run that statement by Shauna, but I'm sure she'd love to do twice the amount of work, right? Oh dear, I may get myself deleted from her list and then I'd be sad.)

First the Food Posts

Food in the office: Robin Schooling from HR Schoolhouse writes Feasting with the Masses. Helpful hits about food at work. And remember, HR doesn't plan company picnics.


photo by blmurch
Correcting our Focus: The HR Introvert writes My Name is Remington and I Am Your HR Resource This Evening. Are we highlighting the bad and downplaying the good?

Decision Making: Dwane Lay at Lean HR writes Weighted Decision Matrix. Now, what is anything lean doing in my carnival? Where's the Funnel Cake HR?

Assumptions: Judith Lindenberger at Women of HR writes Legacy, Assumptions and Ginger Nut Biscuits. Yes, I realize Judith has two posts and it's not just because she's fabulous, it's that Lisa Rosendahl, who edits Women of HR, submitted this post. Plus, someday I want to work for Judith.


Photo by Cameron Cassan
Workplace Relationships: Ben at Upstart HR writes Working with Nuts, Fruits and M and Ms. I think we all know where I stand on this post.

Food and, well, Eating: Paul Smith at Welcome to the Occupation writes I'm Hungry. Me too Paul. Me too.

Change: John Jorgensen at HR Tailgate writes Are You Expecting Steak or BBQ?

Whining: Jennifer Miller at The People Equation writes Want Some Cheese with that Whine?


Breastfeeding laws: Michael Haberman at Omega HR Solutions writes Boobs and Babes in the Workplace which isn't what you think, but it will still give me strange hits off Google. But it also gives me an excuse to post my favorite baby picture.

And now for the rest of you who write fabulous and informative posts, but should think about this: Last night I had a women tell me about her recipe for Stinging Nettle Soup. If you don't do what I say in the future, I'll send you the ingredients.

Learning: Tanmay Vora from QAspire Blog writes Creating a Learning Organization: 10 Actions For a Leader

Mentoring: Judy Lindenberger from Unlock Your Full Potential writes Interview with a Mentor. Ever wondered what a mentor does or doesn't do?

Talent War: Erik Samhdal from Productivity Blog writes i4cp Study: Companies are Gearing Up for the Coming Talent War

Respect for people: John Hunter from Curious Cat Management Improvement Blog writes Respect for People Doesn’t Mean Avoiding Any Hint of Criticism


Expectations: Steve Brown at Everyday People writes What Do You Expect??? He reminds to remember the 90% of great employees, instead of putting all our effort into the 10% who are whiners.

Technology: The Devon Group writes Now that you’ve made a Technology Purchase, does your Corporate Culture Support its Adoption? Good things to think about--culture and strategy need to match.

Branding: Michael Vandervort at The Human Race Horses writes The Mythology of Your Brand. It appears Michael and Gautam have been talking because

Future: Gautam Gosh at Organization 2.0 and HR writes Future of Employment is Not Employment. Turns out your brand isn't the be all end of all of existence.

Praise: Wally Bock at Three Star Leadership writes How Do I Praise Thee? With food, duh, Wally.

Sacrifice: Dan McCarthy at Great Leadership by Dan writes 10 Things Boomer Managers Shouldn't Have to Give Up. Dan also wants to remind all you young whippersnappers to GET OFF HIS LAWN.

Physical Facilities: Naomi Bloom at In Full Bloom writes Eagles, Cattle and Gators--Welcome To HQ.

Employee Engagement: Karen at The Rising Sun writes How Much are Disengaged Employees Costing You?

FMLA: Kristen Frasch at HREOnline's The Leader Board writes Your Attendance Policies Could Buy You a Lawsuit. Frankly, I'd rather buy a brownie.

When to Quit: Lynne Dessert (who didn't write about food, but should have, given her name) at Elephants at Work writes Quitting or sticking: Smart decision or competitive advantage?

And When Never to Give Up: Mark Stelzner at Inflexion Advisors writes Don't Let Them Break You.

Company Culture: Prasad Kurian at Simplicity at the Other Side of Complexity writes Placebos, Paradoxes and Parables for Culture Change.

Video Interviewing: Laurie Ruettimann at the Cynical Girl writes Video Interviewing: Only the Good Looking Need Apply which tells me that I'll never get a job if I'm up against Laurie.

Humor: Andrew Tarvin at Humor that Works writes 5 Reasons to Use Humor in an Interview.

Compassion: Eric Meyer at The Employer Handbook writes A Compassionate Employer? Why Not?

Phones and Futures: Anders Northeved at Talented Apps writes Feb 21, 2012- Are You Ready? I'm not quite sure I'm ready for Feb 21, 2011, there Anders.

Talent Management: Amit Bhagria at Young HR Manager writes Talent Management Part II--Has Your Company Got Talent?

Succession Planning: Amy Wilson at Shiny and Useful writes Get your succession plans ready--2011 Will Be a Year of Change.


Thanks everybody! If I missed your post or spelled your name wrong or something, send me an e-mail and I'll fix it.

4 comments:

HR Minion said...

No one sent you brownies?!? Ungrateful bloggers! And after all your hard work and awesomeness. (shakes her head in disappointment) What is the world coming to?

Judy Lindenberger said...

I so agree. And I am also shaking my head in sorrow and shame. But I did send my Aunt Harriet's recipe for the Best Brownies ever. Which I am happy to share with anyone who asks!

Anonymous said...

It looks like I have to work on my dinner party menu...between having dessert and some dip, I will have to work on the main course!

Andrew Tarvin said...

Weird, I'm now hungry AND ready to help improve my organization.