Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Friday, March 02, 2007

A Rose by Any Other Name

This post is just for the ladies, and it's a little ranty, so bear with me.

When you get married, I don't care if you decide to take your husband's name, or keep your maiden name, or hyphenate. I don't even care if you decide to come up with something new altogether. I also don't care what you do with that name when you get divorced.

See, I don't care if your name is Jane Doe or Jane Smith or Jane Smith-Doe or Jane Doe-Smith or Jane Smithdoe. I just don't care.

But please, pick one and stick with it.

I am tired of getting screamed at by women who take their husband's last name legally and keep their maiden name professionally and want their tax forms to show up in their legal name (Hubby's!) but their interoffice mail to their maiden names.

We are a Fortune 500 Company. This means there are more than 12 people in this company. I don't know all of you. Names are spit out of the system. If you were going to have such an issue with this, you should have stood up to your husband and kept your maiden name. Now, if you are nice about it, I'll be understanding, but the name that spits out of the system and shows up in reports is still going to be your legal name.

Yes, I heard your suggestion to add another field to accommodate you. Ain't gonna happen.

Now, I feel better.

3 comments:

Patrick Williams said...

Ya just cant please 'em all, can ya? My favorite thing is to go ahead and change their name as they request, then watch them bug out when other official correspondence from banks, Social Security, the IRS, etc... gets botched because of the name change! Sometimes they get so mad they spit while yelling at me!

Evil HR Lady said...

Patrick,

You are very bad.

Patrick Williams said...

Guilty as charged. I am, after all, an HR person too! To thine own self be true!