Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Time to Start Looking

I am an HR manager for a retail outlet. In the last year our company has gone through management changes.

When I originally started there was a CEO, Controller, three District Managers, a VP, and Office Manager and three accounting personnel. In August of last year, they hired a CFO. I got along quite well with the new CFO and we worked on switching payroll companies and other projects.

In December, the Office Manager position was eliminated. The next day a new CFO came on board and the previous CFO became the COO. A week later they hired a new controller. Two weeks later two of the accounting personnel left which left me to do all the a/p, payroll, purchasing, and accounts receivable.

Then we hired three replacements. The receptionist is rather dingy and her excel skills are sorely lacking. Hire number two was a purchasing assistant but she does no more than what is required of her and even that she doesn't do well. Hire number three is accounts payable and if she isn't late, calling in sick or leaving early she is a hard worker.

I brought this to the attention of the COO since he is who I directly report to and he wanted me to help him more with store operations. Would be wonderful if I had someone to delegate to. He said he would bring this to the attention of the CFO who these people report to. The CFO did nothing. Last weekend I went into the office for my normal routine and I walked by my bosses office and it was very empty.

Come to find out Monday morning due to sales being down, they let the COO go. I had a long conversation with the CEO and he says he does not want to be involved in daily functions he leaves that up to me. We discussed where the company is losing money and we had a meeting with all department heads to discuss how we can improve operations.

I feel like this is a positive step. My issue I guess is that I have been put in a position where I am Office Manager/HR Manager, Payroll, Accounts Receivable. I know due to finances I won't receive a raise. They are even scaling back the Christmas party. I'm wondering is it time to start to look seriously for another job or should I ride the waves and see the outcome in six months? I have been with company just over two years.


What do you have to lose by leaving? What do you have to gain by staying? Pull out the old pen and paper and make two lists. Pros and Cons of leaving.

The job may have problems, but if it's 5 minutes from your house and allows you flexible hours so that you can take your yoga classes and go to craft fairs to attempt to sell your sculptures made out of old soup cans and glass beads it may be worth staying no matter what else the cost. (Because, let's face it, your sculpture sure as heck ain't paying the mortgage.)

Are your current responsibilities going to help you in the long run?

Is the situation so stressful it's affecting your personal life?

Have you looked at the market lately?

One advantage of job hunting while you still have a job is that you have options. My general advice in such situations is to go out and look. See what pops up. Just make sure you have your list of benefits from staying already made, so that you can easily compare it with new offers.

If the company you are at is having financial troubles then you need to be prepared for losing your own job. It happens. Even to nice HR people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another hr rep here...if you're the hr manager, why would you not address these performance problems directly with the cfo? i would think that was part of the job.

i find this case particularly interesting given the "hr respect" article that comes before this. hr needs to position themselves as adding value to the business, and this would be perfect example of addressing huge productivity issues that likely affect the bottom line. if hr is just waiting for someone else to take action so that hr can process the paperwork, then i see why hr might be seen as just "paper pushers" in this organization. and if that's the mentality, i'd probably start looking right away.