Important Notice:
This site has moved to evilhrlady.org, please update your bookmarks. If you were looking for a specific post, you can use the site search option or archives at the new domain to find it. Thank you!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Taking Your Work Home

Blackberries are apparently causing problems in families. Mom and Dad just can't leave it alone.

From the Wall Street Journal:
The refusal of parents to follow a few simple rules is pushing some children to the brink. They are fearful that parents will be distracted by emails while driving, concerned about Mom and Dad's shortening attention spans and exasperated by their parents' obsession with their gadgets.

I am blogging about this for three reasons. One, companies are not truly "Family friendly" if their employees are expected to be reachable all of the time. So, stop saying that you are.

Two, it really is rude to be using your Blackberry during other events. Your children's year end talent show is boring. Even your kid is not as talented as you like to think he is. And very few second grade choruses can sing harmony. Still, it is rude, rude, rude to be sending e-mails during the performance.

And three, to make Oliver glad that he read my blog today. Remember to limit blackberry time after Clara arrives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've hear them called Crack-berries because of the addictive quality.

Evil HR Lady said...

I've heard them referred to in the same way. I totally understand--I'm pretty sure I would get addicted if I had one. Which is mainly why I don't have one.

she said: said...

This article makes it seem like they were paying attention to their kids to begin with.

Oliver said...

Thanks for the shout out. Read your post on my way home from the office - on my BlackBerry. Don't worry, folks, I take public transport.

Definitely go check out Winterbells.

And I agree, BlackBerries do not belong in the bathroom!